Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Tudor Rose: A Novel of Elizabeth of York by Margaret Campbell Barnes


Category: Historical Fiction
Published: Originally 1971, Re-published 1 Oct. 2009, 336 pages

Review: 4/5

The Tudor Rose had a bit of a slow start for me. I don't know if that was the books fault or my own because I just wasn't in the mood for it. In the end, however, I really enjoyed this historical fiction novel about Elizabeth of York. I visited London when I was a senior in high school and I vaguely remember the tour guide in the Tower of London pointing out a room where two young princes had been imprisoned to allow someone else to take the throne. That story is in this book. It also gives a lot of history that leads up to the other two Margaret Campbell Barnes books that I've read, Brief Gaudy Hour and My Lady of Cleves. This is fascinating history. I wonder how accurate it all is but it sure lends credence to the adage, "Truth is stranger than fiction." I don't think the story and writing always flows really well and at times I got confused about people and places but I still really enjoyed this book in the end. All of Margaret Campbell Barnes' books have been that way for me--a little hard to get into but in the end, worth the read.

Rating: 2.2.1 Contains some talk about sex in general and has a little bit of the violence associated with battles and war.

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

I have never really read much historical fiction from this era but see and read so many reviews on blogs about them that I am feeling a bit tempted to try some. I will have to keep this author in mind if I ever do try some.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Hey! You won a contest on my blog! Stop by and check it out!:)

Hansen Giselle said...

Thanks!