Thursday, April 2, 2009

My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok


Category: Fiction, Historical, YA
Published: 1972
Review: 5/5 stars
I loved this book! Asher Lev, a young Hasidic Jew, tells his story of how be became a great artist and how his gift and the choices that he makes effect the people in his life. I am not an artist but there's a part of me that wants to be one. The way the author, Chaim Potok, describes the drive that Asher has to draw and paint and create is just amazing and makes me wish I had that talent. I could hardly put this book down and it wasn't because the plot was driving me to the finish. I was just fascinated by the characters, the culture and religion, and especially Asher and his relationships with his family and others whom he cares about. I've really enjoyed the books that I've read recently about Jews. I will have to find some more. Any suggestions?
Rating: 1.1.1 I don't remember anything very offensive in this book. It seems like there may have been a little light profanity that I didn't really notice very much. There are some fairly mature themes though and I think an immature teen wouldn't really appreciate this book. Highly recommended.

10 comments:

Laura H said...

I really liked the Ladies Auxiliary so I'm definetly going to try this one.

Sorry no suggestions for any other Jewish books. Thats what I depend on you for. No pressure.

Shelley said...

I read and enjoyed The Chosen by Potok. This one sounds just as good.

Britt said...

The Chosen is really good. As was this one...

Other Jewish books.... hmm... can't think of any.

Finding Nouf is a really good Muslim one though.

KT said...

I would have to recommend The Chosen too. I didn't love its sequel (The Promise as much, but it's also pretty good. I haven't read too many Jewish books.

I'll have to check this one out.

Stephanie said...

Have you read "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom? It's my favorite book about the Holocaust. It's not the normal gloom and doom one normally reads about the concentration camps.

Corrie is actually Christian but ends up in a camp.

I think if you haven't read it already you'll enjoy it.

Kim said...

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Laura - Thanks for the trust in my book recommendations. I don't think you'll be disappointed in this one.
Shelley, Britt, and KT - I have The Chosen that I bought second hand so I'll have to read it soon.
Britt - I will definitely check out Finding Nouf. I'm very interested in reading about other religions.
Stephanie - I've read The Hiding Place a couple of times and it is excellent. The last time I read it was for a book club and one of my friends happens to be from the Netherlands. It was really cool hearing her perspective. She had even visited the Ten Boom home.

Melissa said...

This book is one of my all-time favorites; I'm glad you enjoyed it. The sequel, The Gift of Asher Lev, isn't as good, but it's worth reading.

Oh, and I extended the challenge deadline to April 4th, so you're all good. :)

Jeanette said...

Another book that has been on my radar but that I have not gotten to reading yet. Thanks for the review.

caribookscoops said...

I love Chaim Potak, but have not read this one. The Chosen is really good. He has written a few others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Laura H said...

Oh Kim, I finally got this book and I'm on page 171 and its HORRIBLE!! It is so depressing. Can I stop now or do I have to soldier on???