Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Last Days of the Lacuna Cabal by Sean Dixon


Category: Fiction
Published: March 2009, 352 pages
Review requested by publisher
Unfinished
I was interested in reading this book because it was about a young women's book club. The Lacuna Cabal Montreal Young Women's Book Club is quite different from others. They meet everyday and they try to act out the book in real life. This premise sounded pretty interesting to me but I'm afraid I finally just put it down. The foul language and sexual nature of the book was just a little too much for me. I feel bad about not finishing it since it was a review book from the publisher. I will say that even as I was deciding to stop reading the book, I found myself wanting to keep reading just a few more pages to see what was going to happen next. Even though the characters were so strange, quirky, and with completely different values from me, I was interested in them. This book wasn't for me but I imagine that many others could enjoy it.

4 comments:

Sean Dixon - said...

Fair enough.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Hey Kim. My biggest apologies for leaving a comment on your blog that's not about the book review (which I appreciate your thoughts on BTW) but I'm so worried that my emails haven't been getting through to you. Our Book Bloggers Summer Social is THIS Saturday and I haven't heard a peep from you. I don't want you to miss it and realize later that you didn't even know about it. Anyways, would love to see you again. Let me know, okay? Hope you are doing well.

Mellissa said...

Hey Kim! I love the premise of your blog, and your rating system. I am also LDS, and I am glad to see somebody tackle the issue of sex and profanity in literature. I stumbled onto your blog when I was looking for a good, clean book to read for my book club, which is full of Relief Society sisters, and I've added quite a few books to my TBR pile after reading your reviews of them. Great job with the blog. I see that you haven't updated for a while, I hope you aren't giving up on it!

Sean Dixon - said...
This comment has been removed by the author.