Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman


Category: YA or middle reader, Newbery Medal, Fantasy
Published: 2008, 307 pgs.
Review: 4/5 stars
The 2008 Newbery Medal winner, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is not quite what I expected. I'm not sure what I did expect but it wasn't what I got. I was surprised by the first chapter and the descriptions of the murders that take place. It seemed a little too much violence for a middle grader reader but once we got past that first chapter I felt much more comfortable with it. The book tells the story of Nobody Owens and how he is raised in the cemetery by ghosts and other frightful creatures. It's a fun story but is creepy at times. It's original and I can definitely see it in the form of a Tim Burton film some day.
Rating: 1.3.1 Like I said, I thought some of the violence was a little much for a kids' book. I would preview it before I let just any child read it.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm glad for the warning on the violence. I was thinking my daughter would like this (she likes creepy more than me) but I think I'll read this one first.

Laura H said...

I didnt like this book at all. In fact I stopped reading it. I just could not get into it.