Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park


Rating: 1.1.1
Category: Middle reader, Newbery Medal 2002
Published: 2001
Audiobook

Review: 4.5/5

I read this book months ago but have gotten very behind in my reviews. I really enjoyed it though so I want to finally get my thoughts down. The story is set in 12th century Korea. Tree Ear is a 10 year old orphan who is fascinated with the pottery made by several potters in his village. Orphans are not treated well since family and lineage is so important in the Korean culture but Tree Ear manages to become an apprentice to a potter who has no son. The story goes on from there and includes very interesting descriptions of how the pottery is made but the most compelling part of the book is the relationships between the characters. I really enjoyed this book. I lived in South Korea as a missionary for about 16 months so it was especially interesting to me but I recommend it to all. It's not a long book and I actually listened to the whole thing as I was doing one of my training runs for a marathon last year. I finished the book as I was running my last mile. I don't know if it was fatigue or the book but I was running down the road with tears streaming down my cheeks.

2 comments:

Suey said...

I read this one years ago for the book fair, and I remember thinking that it couldn't be that great when I first picked it up. But, like you, by the end, the tears were streaming. I loved it and it has remained one of my all time favorites.

caribookscoops said...

I read this one a while back and loved it. I didn't know you were runner. Way to go.