Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield


Rating: 3.2.2
Recommended audience: Adult
Category: Mystery, Gothic



Loved this book! It's beautifully written, has an engrossing story and is a little twisted but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It starts out in modern day England but has a story woven into it beginning about 100 years ago. It reminded me of classic gothic novels like Jane Eyre or a Dickens book. It's a little creepy, a ghost story really, and has many interesting (and in some cases, very strange) characters that you feel like you come to know. There is some sex but it is mostly just implied and not described. The two main characters, Margaret Lea and Vida Winter, are both book lovers and books are often discussed and have a part in the story, another thing I loved about it. If you like Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend this book. If you think Jane Eyre is boring then you probably wouldn't like this either. Sit down with a cup of hot cocoa and enjoy.

4 comments:

Julie J. said...

Oooh, I am very intrigued. I can't wait to read this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Unknown said...

I just finished this book last night (stayed up WAY too late to finish it) and really liked it. I did not see the twist coming at the end and enjoyed getting to know the characters even though some of them were crazy. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Unknown said...

Also do you know if the book The Lady in White that they refer to so many times is a real book? I've tried to find it and have only come up with a movie made in the 80's.

Kim said...

Kate--I'm so glad you liked it. The book you're referring to is actually "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins. It's one that I have meant to read since hearing about it in The Thirteenth Tale but I haven't gotten around to it yet.