Thursday, November 8, 2007

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang




Rating: 2.3.2
Recommend audience: Adult
Category: Historical, memoir



This is the story of three generations of women and their struggles and triumphs through the very difficult 20th century history of China. It is truly a remarkable story and I learned so much about the history of communism in China and the rule of Mao Zedong. It is not an easy read with all of the Chinese names that are so unfamiliar, but so worth the effort. I definitely recommend this book but be warned that the subject matter is often heart-wrenching. I will never think of China in the same way again.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

This book made me grateful to be an American. Our own government has done bad things, but not on the scale of Mao's. Plus, I thought the author's father was the most incredible tragic hero.