Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Wither by Lauren DeStefano



Genre: YA, Dystopian
Published: March 2011, 358 pp.
Source: Library
Review: 3.5/5 stars


One of the latest in the YA dystopian crazy, Wither by Lauren DeStefano gives us yet another haunting tale of what could possibly go wrong if our society chooses a certain path. This time the issue is genetic engineering. What could happen if, at some point in the future, all babies were born genetically modified so they would be perfectly healthy and have long life spans? Destefano paints a grim picture of a generation of perfect people whose children and grandchildren die by their mid 20's.


I enjoyed many parts of this book. The people and the relationships are good--complex and multi-faceted. I liked the story but I kept being pulled out of it by the logistical errors in the back story. I felt like the science was not there to back up what had happened in their world. I'm too much of a geek to let that stuff go. I really appreciate a book that makes sense and this one didn't always do that for me. Even so, it was a good story and I look forward to reading the next ones. Who knows, maybe some of the problems I had with things will be resolved or answered.


Rating: 2.2.2 The book is about a polygamous marriage so there is some sex involved but it's behind closed doors and between married people, even if it is a strange situation. There are a few disturbing scenes that include blood or people who have died. Mild profanity.

3 comments:

Amelia said...

loved your review! And I am so nitpicky when I read fantasy and dystopian, so I get what you're saying about certain things not seeming to add up here. I've seen a lot of really good reviews for this, but I don't think I'll ever be able to read it because polygamy really grosses me out! Glad you enjoyed it!

Jenny said...

Well, to be honest, I think we felt the same about this one but I was way meaner in my review. All the stuff that didn't add up just ruined the whole book for me.

Laura H said...

I actually really liked this book. The back story didnt bother me at all. I really enjoyed all the relationships, much more than any other polygamy book I've read. Will definitely be reading the sequel.