Monday, February 7, 2011

Mr. Darcy's Secret by Jane Odiwe


Genre: Regency romance, Jane Austen sequel
Published: Feb. 1, 2011, 368 pp.
Source: Advanced Review Copy from Sourcebooks

Review: 3.5/5 stars

I've been impressed by the two books by Jane Odiwe that I've now read. She has a nice style that's Austenesque and I really appreciate that she conveys the love and passion between her characters without going behind closed bedroom doors. There's often too much sex in Austen sequels that I don't like.

That being said, the stories haven't been quite as compelling as I would like. Though I have enjoyed her books, Mr. Darcy's Secret and Willoughby's Return, I can't say that I've been blown away by them. They are fun, light reads though and are nice when you have a hankerin' for some Austen men. :) It seems like I have heard that Lydia Bennet's Story, also by Odiwe, is particularly good. I fear that I'm a little burnt out on this genre right now so I will try reading that one some time in the future.

In case you want to know a little about what happens in this book here's a short teaser:
Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth arrive at Pemberley newly married and ready to begin their new life together. Elizabeth meets the Derbyshire high society and deals with their gossip and expectations. Mr. Darcy deals with the challenge of Georgianna's entering society and finding proper suitors. They both must learn what it means to be married and to trust one another.

Rating: 2.1.1 Pretty clean. Sexual content is only implied.

No comments: