Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams



Genre: Ya fiction
Published: 2009, 213 pgs.
Source: Library
Review: 3/5 stars

The Chosen One is the story of 13 year-old Kyra who is part of a fictional polygamist group. She is "chosen" to become the seventh wife of her 62 year-old uncle. Carol Lynch Williams does a fantastic job of drawing the reader in and telling this disturbing tell of abuse and corruption. About half way through, after a particularly awful scene of child abuse, I almost put the book down but then decided to continue. As I finished, I turned to my husband and tried to tell him a little about it and I started bawling. I pray that the real polygamist groups out there are not as bad as this one. It was so painful for me to read that I have a hard time recommending it, but it is well written and hard to put down.

Rating: 2.3.1 There is some discussion of sex relating to what will be expected of the main character when she is married. The scenes of abuse are not terribly graphic but are heart-wrenching, particularly in the case of a very young child.

2 comments:

Suey said...

I'm kind of scared to read this one, but I guess I'm just going to have to do it!

Susan said...

This one's definitely not an easy read, but it's an affecting one. An eye-opener for sure.