Monday, February 15, 2010

The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer





Genre: Romance, historical fiction
Published: Originally 1928, re-edition Feb. 1, 2010, 325 pgs.
Source: Review copy from the publisher, Sourcebooks


Review: 4/5 stars

The Masqueraders is full of love and adventure. It has a slightly different setting than the other Heyer novels I've read as this one is set around 1750, just after the failed Jacobite rebellion. Brother and sister Robin and Prudence Tremaine were part of the rebellion just as they have been part of many schemes and adventures during their lives wandering all over Europe following their father. Now they are returning to London incognito, Robin playing the part of a lady and Prudence as her gentleman brother, while they wait for their father to come for them. High adventure ensues including mistaken identity, sword-fighting, duels, falling in love, highway robbery and more.

This is a fun book with interesting characters and lots of adventure. I knew very early on who would fall in love with whom but it was a fun ride getting to that conclusion. Georgette Heyer has yet to disappoint.

Rating: 1.2.1 Includes some violence but not graphic.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

I agree! I actually liked that we didn't have to wait for the final page or two to see them finally proclaim their love. It was fun!

Roxy said...

This is great. I remember my older sister reading Georgette Heyer when I was a young, impressionable girl. Now I'm a lot older, but I saw a few of Ms. Heyer's novels at Barnes and Noble recently. I'll have to give them a read. :) Thanks for the recommendation.

Story Spinner said...

An enjoyable read with a heroine unlike any of Georgette Heyer's other heroines (of her books that I have read so far). While I prefer her Regency books, it made for an interesting read.

Laura said...

I love Georgette Heyer's books! Don't you think they would make great miniseries? I wish the BBC or Masterpiece Theater would realize this.

I believe I first found out about GH by reading your blog, so thank you, thank you, thank you!!

The Masqueraders is one I haven't read yet. I'll look for it next time I'm at the bookstore.