Friday, March 5, 2010

Just Take My Heart by Mary Higgins Clark


Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Published: 2009, Audiobook
Source: Library
Review: 2.5/5 stars
I've read a lot of Mary Higgins Clark and there was a time when I would have said that she was one of my favorite authors. I don't know if she doesn't have "it" quite like she used to or if I'm the one who doesn't "get it" anymore. Just Take My Heart is Clark's latest bestseller in which a much loved star of the stage is murdered and her husband is blamed. Emily Wallace is the Assistant DA whose job it is to get a conviction. This is more of a courtroom drama than the usual Mary Higgins Clark fare so I'll give her credit for branching out but it just wasn't that compelling. The audiobook kept my attention and I was interested in the story but it fell a little flat. The ending was pretty predictable and even cheesy. If you want to read any of Clark's books I would try some of her earlier works. I remember them as being smart, suspenseful, and unpredictable. This one doesn't quite measure up.
Rating: 1.2.2

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Clark was one of my favorites as well. Her stories don't quite work for me anymore either.