Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier



Genre: YA fiction, fantasy
Published: 2007
Audiobook
Review: 3.5/5 stars



Wildwood Dancing is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Jena is the second of 5 sisters who live with their father in a castle in Transylvania. Each full moon the sisters pass through a portal to go dancing with creatures of the Other Kingdom.

I enjoyed this book but thought it was a little too predictable and a little too long but this could be because I listened to the audiobook version. The narrator drove me a little crazy because she spoke in a little girl's voice. Maybe because of the voice, Jena seemed a little whiny; and for being such a smart girl, she could be a little clueless. Overall, the story was interesting and enjoyable. I know a lot of people loved this book. I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read it. Maybe I'll try it again in a few years.
Rating: 1.2.1 Includes a little violence.

3 comments:

Kath said...

I really liked this one, and its sequel Cybele's Secret. I think I actually liked the second book a little more.

caribookscoops said...

I liked this one, but I had some of the same thoughts as you. It was very predictable. I also listened to the second book on CD and liked it as well, but for me the first one was more to my liking.

Shelley said...

I hate it when narrators speak in little kids voices! I understand that sometimes I am an adult listening to a childrens book, but I don't even think the kids like it. It's so condescending.
Anyway, it sounds like a good story--I'll have to give it a try.