Friday, July 3, 2009

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton


Category: Classic, literary fiction
Published: 1911
Review: 4/5 stars
As I was reading Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton I wondered why it was a classic. It wasn't until I finished it and was able to look at the whole picture that I realized it's beauty. I don't know how to describe it without giving away too many plot points so I will just say that it is worth the read. I read this for book club so I will post a Book Club Report soon and talk much more about the book then.

2 comments:

Laura H said...

I felt this way about The Good Earth. I didnt really like the main character and wondered why it was considered a must read classic. I appreciated it more after it was finished. Not that I would recommend it to anyone for a quick fun read, no way.

Charlotte said...

Huh, I thought The Good Earth was excellent. Not especially happy, but excellent.

As for Ethan Frome, it is a tightly constructed work of art, as one of my English professors would have said. I doubt I would have appreciated it as much if I hadn't read it for a class. I look forward to reading your book club section on it, Kim.