Sunday, April 19, 2009

Masterpiece Classics--Little Dorrit

Has anyone been watching Little Dorrit on Masterpiece Classics. I've really been enjoying it. I had never even heard of the book Little Dorrit before so I wasn't anxious to watch it, but once I got started, I've loved it. I think Claire Foy as Amy Dorrit is wonderful and I love Matthew Macfadyen (Mr. Darcy in the Kiera Knightly version of P&P) as Arthur Clennam. Did you realize that the villian is played by Andy Serkis who was Gollum/Smeagol in Lord of the Rings? He does such a good job because he seriously creeps me out. I'd like to read this book sometime soon. I think others must have the same idea because the copies at my library are all checked out and there is a waiting list.

I was watching the most recent segment of the mini-series when my husband came into the room. While I was watching I made a few sounds of annoyance and aggravation at the way some of the characters were acting (if you watched it you probably know what I'm talking about). Finally I said, "I can't believe these people!" My husband asked why I watched it if it bugged me so much. I said, "Because I know it will all work out in the end." I'm assuming that's the case but I'm pretty sure I'm right. Some people may call Charles Dickens sentimental but that's alright with me. I know I can count on things being pretty neat and tidy at the end.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow! That's a long book.

Are you familiar with paperbackswap.com? That's another possible route besides the library. I've been using for over a year and am very happy with it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, like your blog and agree!

Little Dorrit is online also at a couple of places in daily format. I started the book last summer and hadn't finished because it was so long but found this was helpful. Originally it was written as a serial for a newspaper of about 20 chapters, I think.

I love this series and story, because it is relevant too. Of course Mr. Darcy, aka Matthew Macfadyen, is a true bonus! IMDb has a good fourm of threads for more information on the series for TV. If you like MM, here is a bona fide clean site, http://www.topix.net/who/matthew-macfadyen.

Enjoy the series!

Kim said...

I haven't actually taken a look at the book to see how long it is. I think I will still try to read it soon.

Shelley said...

I'm jealous--I've totally missed it! But I have it on my Netflix queue up at the top for when it comes out April 28.

Suey said...

I'm sad that I haven't watched any of this show. I'm hoping to be able to see it online. But I love Charles Dickens and it sounds like this is one that I need to add to the pile!

Not quite the Bradys said...

Love Dickens. So, I realize I've been out of the loop for a while and sorry if you already explained this but how did you choose your books this year? A challenge or just a pile of TBR's or random picks for one-a-week?

Anonymous said...

I'm halfway through the book and it's great...as was the series. Very long...a good one to read slowly so you get the rhythm and patterns of Dickens's crafting of many words.
I would love a list of everything done by screenwriter, Andrew Davis. I think he's brilliant!... 1995 Pride & Prejudice...latest version (also shone last year on Masterpiece Classics) of Sense & Sensibility. I wonder if anyone has written extensions of the Little Dorrit story. Does anyone know of any?