Monday, May 26, 2008

Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer



Rating: 1.1.1 (PG)
Recommended audience: Teen and up
Category: Historical, romance
Review: 3.75/5

I would probably have given this a 4/5 star rating but it was a little too much like the last Georgette Heyer book that I read. Both books are set in Bath and both have "almost spinster" type heroines. Black Sheep is about a 28 year old who has charge of her 17 year old orphaned niece who is heiress to a great fortune. Georgette Heyer's novels are very much dialogue driven with a lot of dry humor within the conversations. Her characters are interesting, witty, laughable, and reprehensible, depending on which one you are describing. In this particular novel, the hero's disregard for social etiquette is amusing and very likable as is the heroine's intelligence and wit. I've said before that I have a special place in my heart for Regency Romance that stems back to my first encounter with Jane Austen and Pride and Prejudice. While I have read some of this genre that is complete fluff, I've been impressed with Heyer's books so far. There were several times that I wished I'd had a dictionary with me while reading this book. It also is not just a romance but is a book about family relationships and duty. I would recommend this book but I would suggest that you don't read it together with Lady of Quality.

1 comment:

Josette said...

Yeah, I kept a dictionary nearby too as I didn't know the meaning of some words! It's good cos I get to expand my vocabulary and I'll be ready for the next Heyer book I read.

I'm happy to say that I quite enjoyed this book. :) Here's my review of it.