Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Unashamed by Francine Rivers



Rating 1.1.1
Recommended audience: Teen to adult
Category: Historical, religious, inspirational
Review:

This is the second in the Lineage of Grace Series by Francine Rivers. The series consists of five novellas that tell the stories of five women in the lineage of Jesus Christ: Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. Unashamed is Rahab's story. I must confess that I am not much of an Old Testament scholar so although the name Rahab did ring a small bell somewhere in the back of my mind, I did not remember this story. Rahab is a prostitute living in Jericho when the Israelites arrive in the Promised Land. She helps the spies that Joshua sends to Jericho and by so doing is saved from the destruction of Jericho. It is an inspiring story and reminded me again that we can change our lives for the better no matter how far we have fallen.

This is the first book in this series that I have read and there really is no need to go in order. Each story is completely indendent of the others. I listened to this as an audiobook and I thought it was a good recording. I will definitely read or listen to the other four books.

3 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

My work bookclub (which I'm not a member of as of yet) is reading Reedeming Love by Rivers. I had never heard of her previously. Interesting way to rate books! Are most religious-fiction?

Kim said...

Trish, thanks for coming by. Most of the books I review are not religious-fiction. It probably looks that way with this one and C.S. Lewis on the first page but I just happened to have read those recently. When I started this blog I decided I wouldn't do any religious-fiction because I figured, what's the point? If it's religious fiction, you know it's clean. My goal is to let people know which mainstream books are "clean" and which are not. I know there are a lot of people like me that don't like to read a lot of profanity and gratuitous sex. Now, I find that if I read a book, then I want to blog about it so that's why there are some religious books here. As for Rivers, this is the first book of hers that I've read and I just happened upon it at the library. I don't know anything about her other books but I'm sure they are good if Christian fiction is what you're looking for.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Actually just curious. :) I followed your link from the comment you left on my blog and found your concept so interesting (I didn't see the stars you also put for the books--so when I left my comment I thought you rated purely on the "cleanliness" of the book).