Monday, April 14, 2008

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry


Rating: 2.2.1 (PG)
Recommended audience: 10+
Category: Fantasy, juvenile and YA fiction
Review:


This book is set in the same time period as Lowry's The Giver but in a different part of the land. It is the story of Kira who is the only crippled person in the whole village, because usually when a baby is born with a defect, it is taken to "the Field" and left for dead. The village is very primitive and the people just barely eke out a living; everyone is required to work every day but most people live in poverty. Kira was saved from being left in the "Field" because her mother fought to keep her and Kira's grandfather was on the Council of Guardians and had great influence. Now Kira's mother is dead and she is threatened again to be taken to the "Field". She is saved however because of a special gift that she has. I really like the way Lowry writes. In this book and The Giver I could feel that something is not quite right and she slowly gives more information so it keeps me turning the pages. The characters are interesting and so is this society that lives in the distant future.

This is a stand alone book. Though it is connected to The Giver it is not necessary to read The Giver first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished my first Lowry book today, Number the Stars. I enjoyed it so well that I want to read her others, especially The Giver. I'll look into this one as well. Thanks!

Not quite the Bradys said...

Sounds good. I haven't read her before. I'll have to add her to my list. : )