Sunday, March 9, 2008

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine




Rating: 1.1.1

Recommended audience: Tweens on up

Category: Fantasy, romance, children's and YA literature



Though I haven't read Ella Enchanted, also by Levine, I understand that the two books are set in the same fantasy world. Just as Ella is very roughly based on the story of Cinderella, Fairest has a few similarities to Snow White as you may guess from its title. I found the story entertaining and interesting and I was amazed by the talent of the author. The kingdom of Ayortha, where the story takes place, has a great heritage and culture of music and I was very impressed by the author's creativity in the many songs and lyrics throughout the book. This book also explores the ideas of self-image and the definition of beauty that I found interesting and a good example for girls of all ages in this beauty-obsessed world we live in.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

This sounds like something I would love. I think my daughter may have read it. It sounds like it has a message that needs to be heard!
By the way, I responded to your questions about the Book Thief in that post, in case you didn't see.

Linnea said...

I love this author. I would definitely recommend Ella Enchanted. It has more great themes of courage and selflessness that she does such a good job of weaving through her stories. Love the blog, can't wait to read more.