Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Inside the Kingdom: My Life in Saudi Arabia



Rating: 2.1.2
Recommended audience: Adult
Category: Memoir





We read this book at the recommendation of one of our book club "sisters" and I have to admit that I was a little hesitant about reading it. I am so glad we did. Carmen Bin Ladin married into the Bin Ladin family in the 70's (yes, the Osama Bin Ladin family) and she tells what it was like living in Saudi Arabia. This book describes her daily life while living there (she was able to get out in 1988). Even though this book only tells what it is like for wealthy women in Saudi Arabia, it was still a real eye opener. I knew that things were hard for women there but I didn't know it was like this. I definitely recommend this book. It's an easy read and except for a little discussion about homosexuality it is very clean.

1 comment:

Julie J. said...

I really enjoyed this book as well and I also was very hesitant to read it. But I did it because it wasn't very long. I am so glad I did and was acctually wishing there was more at the end.